Making Payments with Tipalti ✪
Once you have created statements on Curve, you will have balances that are payable to your artists. Via Curve’s Payments tool you can organise and trigger your royalty payments.
On Curve, we have three possible payment processes. You can either integrate with Tipalti, integrate with Wise (previously known as Transferwise), or organise your payments via an Excel spreadsheet. More info on all three options, and which option can work best for you, can be found here.
If you wish to make payments with Tipalti, please follow the instructions in this article.
1. Sign up to Tipalti
In order to integrate your Curve client with Tipalti, you will need your own Tipalti account. Speak with Curve's support team for us to introduce you to Tipalti, and you’ll be well looked after and will receive expert help and advice on the integration between Curve and Tipalti.
2. Add your Tipalti details on Curve
Your preferred payment provider can be configured by going to your Settings > General > Payments tab. Please select the Tipalti option. Two additional fields will appear for you to complete.
Tipalti Payer Name - This is the name of your account with Tipalti. You can find your name by going to the Administration > General page in Tipalti.
Tipalti API Key - This is a code that will link your Tipalti account to your Curve account. You can find this key by going to the Administration > API Integration page in Tipalti. The key you will need to provide is the Master Key.
3. Add your Curve details on Tipalti
In order for the systems to speak to each other, you’ll need to add the Curve public IP addresses to your Tipalti setup. To do this, head into your Tipalti account, and select Administration > API Integration. Then select the Allowed IPs tab. Now add the following IP addresses:
Name - Curve A
IP Address - 220.127.116.11
Name - Curve B
IP Address - 18.104.22.168
4. Providing your Payee’s bank details
Key to making payments is of course storing your artist’s bank details. This info will be stored against your Payees. To get started, please go to your Payees page and click into the Payee you wish to add payment details for. In this Payee, please complete the fields in the Payment Details area.
Please be aware, only Admin users have the right to add or adjust bank details on a Payee.
Tipalti Payee ID - By default we will populate the Curve Payee ID. There is no need for you to change the value of this field, unless you have previously made payments to this Payee via Tipalti and wish to match this Curve Payee with an existing Payee in your Tipalti account.
Payment Currency - In which currency do you wish to pay this specific Payee? This currency is used when generating any manual payments to the payee, whilst any automated payment amounts created from your statements will use the contract currency. Ideally the Payment Currency matches the Contract Currency. The payee is able to select a different currency to receive payment, and this will be converted by Tipalti.
Tipalti Payee Form - A Tipalti form will load for you to provide the payment details. Please follow the instructions in this form until your Tipalti payee is complete.
This process will need to be completed for each Payee that you wish to send payments to via Tipalti. Alternatively, we can enable the option for artists to provide and update payment details via the Curve Artist Portal. Please speak to our support team if you wish to explore this option.
If a Payee is missing payment information at the time you are making a payment via the Curve platform, the payment will be marked as ‘Missing Info’, and the payment will not be able to be paid.
5. Creating Payment Groups
Once you have configured your Payment settings and provided your Payee’s bank details, you are ready to start making payments. On Curve, payments are always made as part of a Payment Group. A Payment Group will hold all the pending payment transactions, ready for you to approve them and mark them as paid.
In all scenarios, whenever a pending Payment transaction is created, this will also be marked on the Transaction tab of the Contract. Meaning that any payments made will automatically be subtracted from the artist's outstanding payment balance. Similarly, when you delete a pending Payment, you will have the option to simultaneously delete the Transaction on the Contract's balance sheet.
There are three ways in which you can create a Payment Group and subsequent Payments.
- By enabling Auto-Payments in your Contracts - If at least one Contract in your Period has the Auto-Payment functionality enabled and has a payable balance (i.e. the balance is higher than the Minimum Payout threshold), then a Payment Group holding these Auto-Payments will automatically be created.
If you reprocess the Period which results in changes to the balances of your payable Contracts, the amount of unpaid payment prompts will automatically be updated to the new amount. However, as soon as at least one payment in a payment group has been fully approved and paid, you will no longer be able to reprocess the linked Period. So please only start approving payments once you are confident your Period is complete.
- By triggering a Payment in a Statement - Alternatively, you can manually trigger a statement’s closing balance to be created as a payment. All payments that are triggered within the same Period on Curve will automatically be created as part of the same Payment Group.
If you reprocess the Period which results in changes to the balances of your payable Contracts, Curve will not automatically update the payable amount of previously triggered pending payment transactions. However, you can create an additional payment prompt that will cover the difference between the new balance and the initial payment prompt.
- By manually creating a Payment Group and manually creating Payments - A final option is to create the entire Payment Group and all of its Payments manually. The payments will be created loose from any Periods or Statements on Curve.
6. Triggering Payments in Curve
Once you have created your pending payment transactions on Curve and are happy for them to be sent through Tipalti, you can trigger payments from within the Payment Groups page.
There are three ways to trigger payments.
- By selecting Pay > Pay All from the button in the top right - This will send through to Tipalti all payments that are valid to be paid.
- By selecting those Payments which you want to pay using the checkboxes on the left of the table, and hitting Pay > Pay Selected - This will only trigger those selected to be sent through to Tipalti.
- By going into a single Payment, and hitting Pay in the top right - This will only trigger this one payment to be sent through to Tipalti.
7. Approving Payments in Tipalti
Working with your Tipalti account manager, you can set up your Tipalti account to allow approval within Tipalti, or you can configure it to allow the payments to be triggered automatically. This needs to be configured on their end. Please discuss this process with your Tipalti account manager.