How to Upload Income Files
Now that your catalogue is complete, you are ready to start uploading your income data. Please watch our introduction to uploading income data to Curve in the video below. Further down this page, we have provided notes and further reading.
How to Upload Income Files
First, navigate to Income > Income. Then hit the +Create button in the top right of the page and select Bulk Upload.
- Upload your Income File - On your Income page, hit the +Create button in the top-right of your page and select Bulk Upload. Drop as many income files as you wish to import. Once your upload is ready, you can hit Complete which will navigate you back to your income page. You will now see your files added to your Income page.
The structure of income files is generally different for each society or publishing administrator. As an answer to that, we have created Templates, which are instructions to Curve how to read income files from various different sources. If your income file is in a structure that is recognised by Curve, it will instantly start ingesting your income file. If Curve did not find a matching Template, Curve will add a yellow warning icon next to your income file and ask you to select or create a Template when entering your income file.
You may need to create your own Template or adjust an existing one from our library to make sure your income file is read correctly. For more information on this, please visit this chapter in our Getting Started Guide on how to make Templates.
- Complete the sales file setup – When you click into your uploaded sales file, you will be welcomed by our Mapping Manager. The first thing you will be asked to complete in our Mapping Manager is your sales file setup. Here you can change the Name of your file, provide a Target Period and provide an Invoice Number. This setup tab will only be displayed the first time you enter your sales file on Curve.
- Provide missing values in the Mapping Manager – It may be that Curve is currently not finding or recognising certain bits of data provided in the income file. If so, Curve will flag these via the Mapping Manager.
- Map unrecognised Identifiers via the Unmapped page - If you have any Invalid lines after completing your Mapping Manager still, these are likely due to unrecognised Identifiers in the income file, resulting in Curve not know which Works to map this revenue to. To resolve these, please head over to your Income > Unmapped page. Here you can map these Identifiers to the correct Work in your catalogue. Curve will store these identifiers as an Alias on your Work, making sure all revenue for this Identifier in this file and all other incoming files from this Source moving forward will be mapped to the correct Work in your catalogue. More info
- Review your uploaded income file - Once you have completed mapping your income file, the Mapping Manager will no longer appear. At the top of the income file page, you have headline information to validate that your file has been imported properly. Check the number of units, revenue and number of lines match the file you uploaded. If the total matches your expected values, and the total number of Invalid Lines is zero, your job is done.
It may be, however, that your income file still has Invalid Lines even after you mapped all the unknown values in the Mapping Manager. This will be the case when data required by Curve is missing. To view these Invalid Lines, you can filter on all the lines with an Incomplete status. The missing data that causes your income line to be invalid will be highlighted in red. The cause of this data may range from a blank cell in the original income file, a total row at the bottom of the income file you didn’t actually want to import, or a Required Field not being picked up via the Template. These Invalid Lines can always be resolved by making an adjustment to your Template. Which changes to make to your Template is dependent on the error. More info
Once you have loaded all of your income files, you are ready to run your first Period.